We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: January 6, 2014
Your Guide to Dental Emergencies
Accidents happen. Whether the damage to your teeth or gums is due to an accident or injury, you need to know the steps to take to protect your dental health. Knowing a few simple dental care tips can be the difference between saving your tooth and needing a replacement. In any dental emergency, always make a plan to call your dentist in Bradenton. Most dental offices can easily accommodate emergencies— many dentists build their schedule with openings for dental emergencies. If not, you can find an emergency dentist to get immediate care. Use this guide to care for your teeth and gums in the event of a dental emergency. Dealing with a Dental Emergency
- Broken Jaw – If your jaw feels like it has been dislodged or broken, use a cold compress to reduce the swelling, call an emergency dentist immediately, and head to the hospital emergency room.
- Toothache – When you have a toothache, it’s best to contact a dentist to find out the reason for the pain. Get treatment from an affordable dentist in Bradenton who will identify the source of the pain. If a toothache occurs, rinse your mouth with warm water and floss gently to remove food debris between the teeth that could be causing the pain.
- Severely Bitten Lip or Tongue – There are times when a bite of the lip or tongue can turn into a dental emergency that requires applying gauze to stop the bleeding and a cold compress to reduce swelling. If you’re bleeding heavily and it won’t stop, you should go to an emergency dentist or the emergency room as soon as possible.
- Knocked-Out Tooth – If a tooth gets knocked out, find the tooth, and hold it by its crown, which is the top. Rinse the tooth and submerge it in milk or warm water with a pinch of salt. Be certain to not to remove any attached tissue and avoid scrubbing the tooth. Take the knocked-out tooth with you and go see an emergency dentist immediately. In many instances, your dentist can save the tooth if you get treatment within an hour.
- Broken Tooth – If one of your teeth breaks, gather all the pieces and rinse your mouth with warm water to eliminate debris. Apply a cold compress to minimize swelling, and call your dentist in Bradenton.
- Objects Stuck Between Teeth – Try to remove the trapped object with dental floss. Do not use sharp, pointed instruments, which can damage your gums. If you can’t remove the object, visit your dentist right away.
In any dental emergency, it’s important that you contact your dentist immediately. If you don’t have dental insurance, there are affordable dentists who offer payment options that will help you manage your dental care within your budget. To learn about our family dentistry practice in Bradenton, call today at or make an appointment. Manatee Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Bradenton. With 2 affiliated practices in the Bradenton area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .