We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: May 9, 2016
What’s the Best Treatment for a Cracked Tooth?
If you’re worried you have a cracked tooth and aren’t sure how to handle it, use this expert guide to help you repair and restore your smile. Reasons for a Cracked Tooth A crack can come in all sizes and severity, from a very slight crack that only scrapes the enamel, to a serious crack that travels from the tip to the roots. The pain can also range from the occasional sensitivity to ongoing agony. As you see or feel that something is wrong with your tooth, you need to seek affordable dental care so a Dentist in Bradenton can repair the dental damage. A cracked tooth is typically caused by one of the following:
- A very hard bite on a piece of food, ice, candy, or outside object
- A sports-related injury
- An accident due to daily activities
- Trauma to the face, mouth, or jaw
- Persistent tooth grinding.
- Insufficient oral hygiene and dental care
Stages of Cracked Teeth According to dental care experts, the severity of your case will determine the best treatment for a cracked tooth. Cases are distinguished in the following way:
- A Simple Cracked Tooth – These are very slight, small cracks. While these cracks are so minor that they may not require treatment, you still need to see a Dentist in Bradenton to examine your cracked tooth and possibly polish the crack away.
- A Serious Cracked Tooth – This type of fracture can extend from the outer enamel of the tooth to its inner tissue or roots. It can also loosen the tooth and make gums bleed.
- A Split Tooth – Even more severe than a serious crack, this occurs when the entire tooth splits vertically. It can damage the tooth so much that the cracked tooth may need to be extracted and replaced.
- A Split Root – This is the most severe kind of cracked tooth because it extends through the entire tooth and causes a split in the roots. It causes great pain, swelling, and a high risk of infection.
Four Remedies for a Cracked Tooth Today, there are several affordable dental care treatments available for a cracked tooth. Yet, the only way to determine the right treatment for you is to be examined by a Dentist in Bradenton at the first sign of a problem. Depending on the extent of dental damage, one of these treatments will be right for you:
- Dental Bonding – Reserved for slight and simple cracks, this treatment uses a tooth-colored resin is to restore or reshape the cracked tooth.
- Splint – Used for more serious cracks, this involves bonding the cracked tooth to an adjacent tooth to keep it in place while the tooth’s tissue and bone heal.
- A Root Canal – Required for more severe cracks and splits, this treatment removes the damaged tissue within the tooth, and then tops it with a filling or crown.
- Tooth Extraction – Only used for the most severe cracks and splits, this involves removing the tooth and replacing it with a dental implant.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Bradenton, call today at or make an appointment. Manatee Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Bradenton. With 2 affiliated practices in the Bradenton area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .