We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: September 1, 2014
Don’t Let Denture Problems Diminish Your Smile
Permanent dentures can be an ideal solution for many people who have lost their natural teeth. Today’s dentures are very different from the ones your grandparents wore. They look more like natural teeth, and they’re more comfortable than dentures of the past. However, many denture wearers still experience discomfort and other problems, especially during the adjustment period when they first start wearing their new teeth. Denture problems can range from mild and annoying to painful and serious, but most can be managed with conservative home care or help from an affordable dentist. Common Problems and Solutions
- Poorly fitting dentures cause a number of problems. As you age, your bones and gums will change, and dentures may not fit as well as before. The changes can lead to problems with speaking or eating, dentures that move around in your mouth, and mouth irritation. See an affordable dentist as soon as symptoms occur; do not attempt to adjust your dentures.
- Eating problems can be managed by taking small bites, eating slowly, and sticking to soft foods until symptoms resolve. Chew with both sides of your mouth at once; this method helps prevent tipping and movement of dentures. Commercial adhesives can be helpful, but they are not a replacement for professional adjustment.
- Speaking problems are most common in new wearers. Speak slowly, and practice challenging words when you are alone. If laughing or smiling causes your dentures to move out of place, bite down gently and swallow to reposition them. Be sure to have your dentist in Bradenton adjust the fit.
- Gum and mouth soreness is usually related to fitting problems, but it can also result from infections or poor hygiene. Be sure to keep your dentures clean. Oral anesthetics can be helpful to reduce pain, but see your dentist if soreness persists.
- Stomatitis and cheilitis are serious infections caused by yeast overgrowth. Cheilitis causes pain, redness and cracking at the corners of your mouth. Stomatitis may manifest as small red bumps under upper dentures or general mouth redness. Both are treated with prescription medications and strict oral hygiene.
Dentures are intended to make your life easier, not harder; see your dentist immediately if you develop symptoms that interfere with daily living. To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Bradenton, call today at or make an appointment. Manatee Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Bradenton. With 2 affiliated practices in the Bradenton area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .